Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

gurkha2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



My blog is worth $238,235.88.
How much is your blog worth?

Technorati Profile http://www.wikio.com Listed on BlogShares

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blog Flux Directory

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogger

View blog authority

ODBA Gold TWO

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Why Coal Miners Do What They Do

The BHC has a decent view of the Coal Miners
Bruce Jones crawls through the darkness, on his hands and knees, shining a headlamp that lights up his co-workers’ orange reflective stripes.
With the hum of equipment now running like it’s supposed to again, he’s free to spend a few minutes talking about life as an underground coal miner.
“My family came from England, and when they ran out of coal in England, they came to West Virginia to mine coal,” he told the Bristol Herald Courier on Monday.
A fifth-generation coal miner, Jones is one of about 20 men who work at the Tech Leasing No. 2 Mine, more than a mile inside a Buchanan County, Va., hillside with a roof 4 feet high and, at many places, a floor covered in several inches of water.
“This is our way of life,” he said. “This is how I pay my bills.”
Indeed. Some more quotes
It’s for the money,” said John Casey......
Billy McClanahan has been working in the mines 40 years – long enough to remember the days when most of the work was done by hand.
“Somebody had to go to work to feed us all, so I did,” he said of his choice to go into the mines at the age of 16, after his father got hurt on the job. “I decided to stay in the mines because I liked it. I still like it.
“Most of us here underground like this, we don’t know anything but mining,” said Roger Looney, who after 32 years in the mines drives the mantrip, a low vehicle used for traveling underground, as comfortably as a car on a Sunday cruise. “Taking us and putting us somewhere else, it wouldn’t work.”
“I like mining,” he says. “My daddy did it before me. I guess I just followed after him. And I’ve got a son getting ready to turn 18. I guess he’ll follow after me, if it stays.”
Check it out. Proud and honest folks doing it for many reasons.
Technorati Tags: ,

Comments on "Why Coal Miners Do What They Do"

 

Blogger Charlie Fugate said ... (2:23 PM) : 

Without the risk of being dramatic, those long, dark, dank mines have seen men bleed, sweat and yes even a few cuss words mixed in there. It is what it is. And what it is is a dangerous well paying job. Hey, I gotta give Governor Mancin a little credit, from Sago until now, he's been Johnny on the spot. Wish many in the lib-progressive new media would do like Jack Friday would say ,"Just the facts, ma'am"!

 

post a comment
|
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

THESE TWO BLOGGERS ARE Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Contact Us

Image hosting by Photobucket

Contact Wise Girl Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

    follow me on Twitter

    TIP JAR

    Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Skype Me - Carl Kilo