Mike Huckabee - The Secure America Plan - A 9-Point Strategy for Immigration Enforcement and Border Security
I wrote about John McCain's plan here and you should check that out also. You will notice a big difference when you look at Mike Huckabee's website compared to McCains. Instead of a 386 word plan that consists of nothing, the Huck has two categories about this issue. The first is his Nine Point Plan.
1. Build the Fence
- Ensure that an interlocking surveillance camera system is installed along the border by July 1, 2010.
- Ensure that the border fence construction is completed by July 1, 2010.
2. Increase Border Patrol
- Increase the number of border patrol agents.
- Fully support all law enforcement personnel tasked with enforcing immigration law.
3. Prevent Amnesty
- Policies that promote or tolerate amnesty will be rejected.
- Propose to provide all illegal immigrants a 120-day window to register with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and leave the country. Those who register and return to their home country will face no penalty if they later apply to immigrate or visit; those who do not return home will be, when caught, barred from future reentry for a period of 10 years.
- This is not a "touchback" provision. Those who leave this country and apply to return from their home country would go to the back of the line.
4. Enforce the Law on Employers
- Employment is the chief draw for most illegal immigrants and denying them jobs is the centerpiece of an attrition strategy.
- Impose steep fines and penalties on employers that violate the law.
- Institute a universal, mandatory citizenship verification system as part of the normal hiring process.
- Prevent the IRS and the Social Security Administration from accepting fraudulent Social Security numbers or numbers that don't match the employees' names.*
5. Establish an Economic Border
- Move toward passage of the FairTax.
- The FairTax provides an extra layer of security by creating an economic disincentive to immigrate to the U.S. illegally.
6. Empower Local Authorities
- Promote better cooperation on enforcement by supporting legislative measures such as the CLEAR Act, which aims to systematize the relationship between local law and federal immigration officials.
- Encourage immigration-law training for police. Local authorities must be provided the tools, training, and funding they need so local police can turn illegal immigrants over to the federal authorities.
7. Ensure Document Security
- End exemptions for Mexicans and Canadians to the US-VISIT program, which tracks the arrival and departure of foreign visitors. Since these countries account for the vast majority of foreigners coming here (85 percent), such a policy clearly violates Congress' intent in mandating this check-in/check-out system.
- Reject Mexico's "matricula consular" card, which functions as an illegal-immigrant identification card.
8. Discourage Dual Citizenship
- Inform foreign governments when their former citizens become naturalized U.S. citizens.
- Impose civil and/or criminal penalties on American citizens who illegitimately use their dual status (e.g., using a foreign passport, voting in elections in both a foreign country and the U.S.).
9. Modernize the Process of Legal Immigration
- Eliminate the visa lottery system and the admission category for adult brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.
- Increase visas for highly-skilled and highly-educated applicants.
- Expedite processing for those who serve honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Improve our immigration process so that those patiently and responsibly seeking to come here legally will not have to wait decades to share in the American dream. Governor Huckabee has always been grateful to live in a country that people are trying to break into, rather than break out of.
See a difference? I don't agree with every word but this plan is leaps and bounds above McCains. Huckabee also has this on the subject of immigration. I underlined some things that I like and some that contrast with McCain. The Huck believes-
- Securing our borders must be our top priority and has reached the level of a national emergency.
- I support the $3 billion the Senate has voted for border security. This money will train and deploy 23,000 more agents, add four drone planes, build 700 miles of fence and 300 miles of vehicle barriers, and put up 105 radar and camera towers. This money will turn "catch and release" into "catch and detain" of those entering illegally, and crack down on those who overstay their visas.
- In this age of terror, immigration is not only an economic issue, but also a national security issue. Those caught trying to enter illegally must be detained, processed, and deported. As Governor, I ordered my state troopers to work with the Department of Homeland Security to arrest illegals and enforce federal immigration law.
- I oppose and will never allow amnesty. I opposed the amnesty President Bush and Senator McCain tried to ram through Congress this summer, and opposed the misnamed DREAM Act, which would have put us on the slippery slope to amnesty for all.
- I oppose and will not tolerate sanctuaries for illegals. The federal government must crack down on rogue cities that willfully undermine our economy and national security.
- I oppose giving driver's licenses to illegals and supports legislation to prevent states from doing so. In 2005, I signed legislation that prevents illegals in Arkansas from getting driver's licenses.
- I will stop punishing cities which try to enforce our laws and protect the economic well-being, physical safety, and quality of life of their citizens.
- I oppose and will not tolerate employers who hire illegals. They must be punished with fines and penalties so large that they will see it is not worth the risk.
- I oppose the economic integration of North America that would create open borders among the United States, Canada, and Mexico. I will never yield one iota or one inch of our sovereignty.
- I will take our country back for those who belong here. No open borders, no amnesty, no sanctuary, no false Social Security numbers, no driver's licenses for illegals. (READ IT ALL)
Mike Huckabee gets it. He has a plan and a vision. His plan starts with the fence, uses technology and a increase in patrols and agents. He has signed the No Amnesty Pledge and his plan is out for all to see. McCain wont sign the pledge. Hillary Clinton wont sign the pledge. Obama wont sign the pledge. When it comes to amnesty, McCain has more in common with Hillary and Obama than he does with Huckabee and Duncan Hunter.
After reading everything both candidates have on Border Security and Immigration-I'm with Huckabee.