Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

gurkha2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



My blog is worth $238,235.88.
How much is your blog worth?

Technorati Profile http://www.wikio.com Listed on BlogShares

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blog Flux Directory

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogger

View blog authority

ODBA Gold TWO

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Virginia Coal Mining Fatalities

I wish they had waited to print this.

BIG STONE GAP, Va. – Virginia’s coal industry is close to celebrating another year with zero fatalities in the state’s coal mines.

If all goes well for the remaining days of 2007, Virginia, ranked 10th in the nation in terms of coal mining production, will celebrate three consecutive years without a fatal injury in its coal mines. (LINK)

That is great news, yet coal miners know it is only a matter of time. The last fatality was on Oct. 23, 2004. The last roof fall fatality was in 2001. The clock is ticking.......

Technorati Tags: , ,

Comments on "Virginia Coal Mining Fatalities"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

I am looking for info about a mine accident near Castlewood, Va in 1964 (possiblyy 1963). I believe it was a cave in. I can find lots of data about WV mine accidents, but not VA. Anyone have any info?

Thanks.

 

Blogger Carl Kilo said ... (8:08 AM) : 

I will ask around for you. The archives of The Bristol Herald Courier or the Coalfield Progress would be a start.
A phone call to the United Mine Workers or the National Mining Association may also give you some leads.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

Thanks. I have narrowed down that the accident was in Duty, Va at Clinchfield Moss #3 and was in the 62-63 range, not '64. I do not know if there were any fatalities. I will try the sources you suggested.

 

Blogger Carl Kilo said ... (6:53 PM) : 

I can tell you this-The accident was not considered a disaster(5 Deaths or More)...Records in the 60's are sketchy at best.
I do remember Blackdamp killing 5 miners in 1978 at Duty. I have family that worked there. I will ask them over the weekend and I need to go to the library Monday....I will help you out. Chances are if there were no fatalities there are no records. My kin may remember this though.
Thanks for commenting. You can email me at carl.kilo@gmail.com
If there are printed records I will scan and email them to you if you like.

 

post a comment
|
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

THESE TWO BLOGGERS ARE Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Contact Us

Image hosting by Photobucket

Contact Wise Girl Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

    follow me on Twitter

    TIP JAR

    Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Skype Me - Carl Kilo