The Trapped Miners - Getting Closer
One Miner Found
Updated: 4/20/2007 12:25 PM EDT
- The body of one of the missing miners has been found. The name of the miner will be released pending complete notification of the family.
- Work continues to locate the second missing miner.
Updated: 4/19/2007 11:00 PM EST
- Before 10 p.m. EDT Thursday, while removing material from the excavator, rescue crews also located the bulldozer.
- Work continues to uncover the metal-tracked backhoe excavator.
- At 6:10 p.m. EDT, rescue workers reached the back end of the missing metal-tracked backhoe excavator.
- The material continues to be removed, at a rate of 20-25 truckloads per hour.
- Additional material, including some large rocks, continues to dribble into the work area. Some large rocks are proving difficult to manipulate with the shovel.
- The shovel has loaded a number of trucks since resuming operations around 9 a.m. Thursday.
- The shovel has experienced difficulty in repositioning due to fallen material. Some rubble continues to slump into the work zone as material is loaded. To address this issue, a bulldozer and a front-end loader are being used to clear the area surrounding the shovel.