Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

gurkha2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



My blog is worth $238,235.88.
How much is your blog worth?

Technorati Profile http://www.wikio.com Listed on BlogShares

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blog Flux Directory

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogger

View blog authority

ODBA Gold TWO

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Family Cemetery










Click Pictures to Embiggen
Yesterday after work I went to my family cemetery to mow and weed eat. There are about 75 graves here. All are my family. They date back to the early 1800's. There are elaborate stones on some and simple rocks or bricks on others. Many coal miners are resting there. There are also soldiers from every war up to Vietnam represented. Many are from 1860-1865.

That catalpa tree on the left of the picture above is the center of this hollowed place. In my youth great dinners were held here. All day preaching and singing was accompanied by many tears and many smiles. I take great pride in visiting this place. As my father who is in his 70's rides his mower, I trim around each stone then wipe them with care. My fore fathers home place lies just over the hill. Grown up now, over taken by black locusts and maples. I was going to take pictures of some of the headstones. As I focused my camera I paused thinking this is not right. It is hard to explain but somehow it was made clear to me those who rest here now would not want that.

The picture below shows where I will rest. At the top of the hill under those lonesome pines. On land cleared by my ancestors, on top of a mountain in remote Dickenson County Virginia 15 miles from any main road. I can not think of a better place. I wonder who will mow and honor this place then.







I was asked in the comments about the location. A few miles off Brushy Ridge. It is The Long Family Cemetery. Mostly made up of Long, Rose, Smith, and McCoy.


Comments on "Family Cemetery"

 

post a comment
|
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

THESE TWO BLOGGERS ARE Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Contact Us

Image hosting by Photobucket

Contact Wise Girl Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

    follow me on Twitter

    TIP JAR

    Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Skype Me - Carl Kilo