Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

gurkha2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



My blog is worth $238,235.88.
How much is your blog worth?

Technorati Profile http://www.wikio.com Listed on BlogShares

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blog Flux Directory

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogger

View blog authority

ODBA Gold TWO

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

One Coal Miner Killed at Maverick Mining Near Pikeville Ky.

I just returned from Pike County. There was not a media circus and the miners I know are all safe. The bad news is one miner was killed. WHAS11 has this:

Wolfe said Tuesday night the miner who was killed was the only person harmed. The miner was identified as Cornelius Yates, 44, of Shelbiana in Pike County, Wolfe said.

Yates was operating a roof bolting machine when a section of the mine roof approximately 20 feet wide, 4 1/2 feet thick and 10 feet long fell, according to a statement from the state Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet.

I had heard of Cornelius Yates from his coworkers but I did not know him. Roof bolt operators have a tough job. I talked to a few people there, and there was some speculation as to what happened. I will not spread rumors but the investigation should not take long. MSHA will release their findings soon. I will say that if the roof bolt plan was up to par, then there are only a couple reasons this happened. One being it was bad top that was properly bolted, but fell as a freak accident. The other being the miner was under unsupported roof. Neither offer comfort to the family I am sure.

The Yates family are in my prayers. My friends and I wondered if this will get the attention that Sago recieved. Will money poor in from across the country? I hope so, but I would not hold my breath. Will the company start a fund for the family? Again I hope so. The Red Queen offered this post the other day. RQ wondered about the 12 brave soldiers who parished when their Blackhawk helicopter went down Saturday. I went and read her post again and she is right. Now I am really troubled. We acknowledge some tragedies and ignore others. I will try to pay more attention from now on.

Technorati : , ,

Comments on "One Coal Miner Killed at Maverick Mining Near Pikeville Ky."

 

post a comment
|
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

THESE TWO BLOGGERS ARE Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Contact Us

Image hosting by Photobucket

Contact Wise Girl Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

    follow me on Twitter

    TIP JAR

    Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Skype Me - Carl Kilo