Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

gurkha2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



My blog is worth $238,235.88.
How much is your blog worth?

Technorati Profile http://www.wikio.com Listed on BlogShares

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blog Flux Directory

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogger

View blog authority

ODBA Gold TWO

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Of Mice and Men and Mushrooms ~ Happy Birthday Wise Girl

Hi all! I want to apologize for not updating the blog. If you read the following you will find out the reason why. My Wise Girl has been out of town and her return was worth a few days off to celebrate. We watched the Race Sunday perched in a hot tub of bubbles and eating chedder buds....I know I needed this down time as much as she did. Getting a table at the Tavern takes a act of God. The kitchen at best can produce maybe 40 plates a day so getting a table was a surprise for both of us. A night I will never forget.So now with out further ado....Of Mice and Men and Mushrooms.~Carl



Last week was my birthday and Carl decided that was cause for celebration. Mind you giving him totally awesome cigars for his birthday might have helped but he surprised me with tickets to the Barter to see Of Mice and Men. He said that since Steinbeck and I shared birthdays it was just meant to be. To make it extra special we went the night before and decided to stop into The Tavern for drinks and hopes for a plate of those stuffed mushrooms I had heard so much about. We arrived to discover that yes, we could have drinks, and yes, we could share stuffed mushrooms but there just happened to be a table open upstairs. Who would turn down something like that? Not us. Neither of us had been really hungry but as we climbed the age worn stairs and the smells of dinner and satisfaction came wafting down we were suddenly ravenous.

We ordered the stuffed mushrooms to start with. Mind you I love, love, love, mushrooms and was totally blown away when these showed up at our table. The smell was so glorious even before I cut into that first one. Carl sat and watched me take that first bite. It was like party in my mouth with the bacon mingling with the parmesan cheese. I can tell you that in my many years of eating stuffed mushrooms I have never had any that top these. From smell to presentation to flavor these are to die for.

Next came our salads of mixed greens. I had the homemade blue cheese and Carl ordered the homemade garlic parmesan dressing. My dressing was good but his was absolutely amazing, not too heavy or overpowering for the delicate greens. Oh and the bread there is stellar.

I ordered the wienerschnitzel- two pan-fried, breaded veal cutlets served with spaetzle, beef mushroom gravy and red cabbage. The veal was cut thin, milky white and tender enough to cut with my fork. The beefy flavor of the spaetzle perfectly countered the tangy sweetness of the cabbage. Actually the cabbage was so good there was only one bite left for my date- sorry baby!

Carl ordered the surf and turf - which was a steak and prawns combo. The presentation of his food was gorgeous. He was as content with his meal as I was. I have to admit I stole most of the crispy fried onions they topped his steak with. The prawns were excellent, had a tangy sauce on them, and he thought his steak was great- I like mine on a grill for a shorter time but the grilled asparagus was also done to perfection. Oh, and just how often do you actually share the rice that comes with your meal? The rice was creamy and added an extra richness to his meal.

Since it was my birthday cheese cake was in order. We split a piece of heavenly cheesecake drizzled with raspberry sauce.

Wow, what a way to start the birthday celebration. My mouth was partying the whole meal through!

Carl surprised me with front row balcony box seats for Of Mice and Men. I was mesmerized through the play. Not only did I love the presentation of what could be a very difficult story to portray but having helped build set before I was impressed with the ease and simplicity of their stage.

I was going to ask if I could start having birthdays a couple more times throughout the year but since I am already the older wiser part of this couple I think I will just put my order in for season tickets to the Barter instead! Thanks for a birthday to remember Baby!

Comments on "Of Mice and Men and Mushrooms ~ Happy Birthday Wise Girl"

 

post a comment
|
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

THESE TWO BLOGGERS ARE Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Contact Us

Image hosting by Photobucket

Contact Wise Girl Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

    follow me on Twitter

    TIP JAR

    Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

    Skype Me - Carl Kilo