National Day of Prayer
NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER, 3 MAY 2007When tragedy takes hold of America it seems that America hits her knees in prayer. How powerful this nation can be if we could do this each day and not just when we are in pain. Perhaps today we can make that a new personal goal?
On 6 May 1982, Ronald Reagan offered these words: "Today, prayer is still a powerful force in America, and our faith in God is a mighty source of strength. Our Pledge of Allegiance states that we are 'one nation under God,' and our currency bears the motto, 'In God We Trust.' The morality and values such faith implies are deeply embedded in our national character. Our country embraces those principles by design, and we abandon them at our peril. Yet in recent years, well-meaning Americans in the name of freedom have taken freedom away. For the sake of religious tolerance, they've forbidden religious practice in the classrooms. The law of this land has effectively removed prayer from our classrooms. How can we hope to retain our freedom through the generations if we fail to teach our young that our liberty springs from an abiding faith in our Creator?"
"Many in our country know the power of prayer. Prayer changes hearts. Prayer changes lives. And prayer makes us a more compassionate and giving people. When we pray we surrender up our will to the Almighty, and open ourselves up to His priorities and His touch. George W. Bush, 55th National Prayer Breakfast, Feb. 1, 2007.
A Common Prayer for American Patriots
In peace we pray for all people.
We pray --
- for our family,
- for our friends,
- for our brothers and sisters in Christ,
- for those not known to us who are lonely, who suffer illness or other adversity,
- and for those who remain in our hearts.
- for our nation,
- for our president and national leaders, that they would seek You for wisdom, that You would protect them from the lure of greed and power and enable them to promote an agenda that is honoring to You as they govern our country.
- for all those who stand in harm's way defending our liberty, that You would protect them and give them comfort in times of hardship, and assist them in defeating the enemy and bringing order to the world,
- for their families, that You would give them peace and stability as they await the return of their loved ones.
- for .... (other petitions),We pray for the knowledge of love, the wisdom of truth and the stewardship of all creation.
We pray in the name of Christ Emanuel.AMEN